A Letter from the Editor,
Well, y’all, we’ve fought our way tooth and nail to the golden promise land of Summer. The Spring saw some phenomenal changes and growth for all of us at PGH in the Round–from new writers; to wider theatre coverage; to diversification of genres and styles of performances and shows we cover. While staying loyal to our friends at the various theatres we love to cover, we’ve tried to put a greater emphasis on the sensational and ever-growing dance community in Pittsburgh–covering and promoting artists like The DANA Movement Ensemble, Staycee Pearl, slowdanger, CorningWorks, Attack Theatre, and so many more–and other non-conventional shows and performers. We are always looking to expand! Reach out to us (or we’ll reach out to you) so we can grow and reflect the diverse talents through our coverage in our community!
We’re always open to new voices joining our talented team–either long-term or guest appearances–so if you’re looking to put forth some killer theatre/arts criticism, send us an email with a pitch and/or a writing sample (to email@example.com)!
Summer is shaping up to be pretty outstandingly jam-packed, with fantastic new works from Pittsburgh Festival Opera, Kinetic Theatre, Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble, Pittsburgh CLO, Theatre Factory, Little Lake Theatre, and countless others. Be on the front-line of all the reviews, features, and artist profiles with us as we embark on the long, sunny (okay, it’s Pittsburgh, I guess that’s a little unrealistic), theatre-packed days of summer.
Oh, and be sure to check out the cheat sheet below for the Summer Preview with links to our pieces! It is the reason for the season, after all. Keep your eyes open for that #SummerWithPitr hashtag, ya’ll!
With Kind Regards,
Editor-in-Chief, Pittsburgh in the Round
- There’s so much to be excited about this summer, we consolidated it into a list of our Top Five Theatre-Things To Whip Your Jazz Hands Out For (and even then, we didn’t get to everything)!! Not exclusively limited to shows, we showcased a list of the things we can’t wait to experience in the theatre world, including stellar benefits events, interactive-theatre, and adaptations staged at historical Pittsburgh sites.
- Speaking of lists (we love them, and so does my OCD)–you know you’re craving the scoop from Brian and his Top 5 Musicals of the summer!! Get on those leather boots and get ready to go wild (or…go very introspective and somber….not every musical is a hoot, ya know) for hits coming from Front Porch Theatricals, Split Stage Productions, Pittsburgh CLO, and Little Lake Theatre!
- Oh, hey, while we’re on the topic of Split Stage Productions (I know, I’m VERY good at organic transitions), did you know they’re working with some majorly impressive, refurbished new digs at Lamp Theatre? Check out Cayleigh’s feature of the new space and their upcoming adaptation of Titanic: The Musical!
- Pittsburgh Festival Opera will return this Summer with a wonderful collection of programs that will include the official Mr. Rogers Opera. One of the many hotly-anticipated events is Lenya in the Light–a showcase dedicated to the impeccable talents of the late Lotte Lenya. Yvonne’s artist feature with Daphne Alderson explores the world of the late artist, and the iconic style of the chanteuse paying her tribute this summer.
- The hills are alive with the sound of music this summer, and no company provides a more dynamic array of programs than the esteemed Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble (PNME). Check out our extensive preview of all the amazing events on the horizon with PNME!
- Snakes, Sherlock, and Mobsters, Oh My! Kinetic Theatre has two phenomenal shows planned for Summer 2019, so give our Kinetic Feature a read to see what’s in store!
- Jade got to chat with folks at Point Park about their well-renown International Summer Dance happening again this summer. Get the scoop on this amazing program!
- The Cultural Trust is making big moves with their commitment to unconventional, larger-than-life art. Check out our preview of the blissfully bonkers, genre-defying Kaiju Big Battel, coming to the Byham this summer!
If you’re craving more, new to the site (hello!), or just feeling nostalgic, here’s some of our highlights from the jam-packed Spring season that you can relive right now!